Welcome

Read the passages posted. Ponder our Lord in his Word. Be still and invite the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts. After prayer post your own reflection in the comment section.*

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Genesis 12: 5-20

Genesis
Chapter 12
5-20


5 2 Abram took his wife Sarai, his brother's son Lot, all the possessions that they had accumulated, and the persons they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan. When they came to the land of Canaan,

6 Abram passed through the land as far as the sacred place at Shechem, by the terebinth of Moreh. (The Canaanites were then in the land.)

7 The LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your descendants I will give this land." So Abram built an altar there to the LORD who had appeared to him.

8 From there he moved on to the hill country east of Bethel, pitching his tent with Bethel to the west and Ai to the east. He built an altar there to the LORD and invoked the LORD by name.

9 3 Then Abram journeyed on by stages to the Negeb.

10 There was famine in the land; so Abram went down to Egypt to sojourn there, since the famine in the land was severe.

11 When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai: "I know well how beautiful a woman you are.

12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'She is his wife'; then they will kill me, but let you live.

13 4 Please say, therefore, that you are my sister, so that it may go well with me on your account and my life may be spared for your sake."

14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw how beautiful the woman was; and when Pharaoh's courtiers saw her,

15 they praised her to Pharaoh. So she was taken into Pharaoh's palace.

16 5 On her account it went very well with Abram, and he received flocks and herds, male and female slaves, male and female asses, and camels.

17 But the LORD struck Pharaoh and his household with severe plagues because of Abram's wife Sarai.

18 Then Pharaoh summoned Abram and said to him: "How could you do this to me! Why didn't you tell me she was your wife?

19 Why did you say, 'She is my sister,' so that I took her for my wife? Here, then, is your wife. Take her and be gone!"

20 Then Pharaoh gave men orders concerning him, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and all that belonged to him.

Reflection: I find this so sick. I just can't get over how woman were viewed and treated as objects. I know that in our world and in our time it is unique in comparison to history but it is so different that how I feel I am treated by my loving husband. My honor is important to him. He would do more that to just keep me alive.

I see how God protected the women though. Now she did get to be Pharaoh's wife for a short time but God saw to it that his life was not pleasant so that he wanted to "give her back". It bothers me and yet I do love the God will take care of us. Always in spite of us being worthy.

2 comments:

  1. When I was reading, I didn't know what to think. I thought it was odd that she would be told that by her husband. Then I thought that it was impressive that she was obedient to her husband. We know that she was a woman of faith. She must have struggled with what to do about this crazy request. But in the end, she chose to be obedient. Our loving God honored her faith by reuniting her and her husband.
    God worked things out for her and for him, too.

    Shannon, I felt like I needed more direction on this passage so I grabbed a book, the Navarre Bible. It was recommended by Gomer.

    I would like to share it. Hope that is ok.

    It mentioned that God defended the marriage despite Abrahams attitude. Through fear, Abram is at the point of giving up his wife, the woman that God chose for him to be the mother of his line.

    It says the point is we that we have a personal God not one tied to a particular shrine.

    It says that this passage teaches us to trust in God in all circumstances, even when weakness and fear lead us to opt out of the plans God has for us. It quotes St. Josemaria Escriva "Trust always in your God. He does not lose battles."

    Shannon,
    This was my first day to join you in your Bible journey. I am glad that you are doing this reflection. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you added more to that reflection. Wow you picked a hard days reading to start. I got that feeling but I couldn't put it into words. It seams so odd to just read what it says without the understanding the history and back story. Thank you and join in every day. We can do this together.

    ReplyDelete

* comment rules

We must remind each other to not post anything hurtful. This is meant to be your own personal reflection space. This is not meant to be a spot to convert or convince others. No names should be written. If your mom comes to minds refer to her as mom not by ber name. Anything hurtful or derogitory will be removed. All brothers and sisters in Christ should feel welcome!

blogger templates | Make Money Online